quick and easy roasted brussel sprouts
not everyone's favourite vegetable but these sprouts are so good you might change your mind! a great dish to impress your guests (particularly when you bring them to the table in the cast iron pan!) and so quick and easy that I often make these sprouts on wintery week nights.
- 1/4 cup bacon
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 4-6 cups fresh brussel sprouts washed, stemmed and cut in half
- 1-2 tsp chilli flakes
- coarse salt and pepper
- pre heat oven to 350 degrees
- fry bacon in a cast iron frying pan on the stove on medium heat until crispy
- leaving bacon and bacon grease in the pan, add olive oil and crushed garlic
- add brussel sprouts and toss until evenly coated. sprouts should start to change colour quickly. season with salt, pepper and chilli flakes and continue tossing in frying pan for one to two minutes
- move cast iron pan into the pre heated oven and bake for ten to fifteen minutes until sprouts are fork tender. for a crispy finish, change oven settings to broil for the last few minutes
- transfer to a serving dish or bring the pan straight to the table
serves 4. a great side dish with a hearty meal.
note: if you don't have a cast iron pan, you can use an ordinary frying pan to start and then transfer to a metal baking sheet before moving the sprouts into the oven
please let me know what you think!
photo below: roasted sprouts and chicken served on a bed of creamy polenta